Baegilhong Bloom, a hundred-day-crimson in the summer

나확진 / 인턴 이효윤 / 2021-07-25 07:34:15
  • facebookfacebook
  • twittertwitter
  • kakaokakao
  • pinterestpinterest
  • navernaver
  • bandband
  • -
  • +
  • print
▲ This photo, provided by Sancheong-gun, shows baegilhong blooms in Deokcheonseowon. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

 

 

▲ This photo, provided by Andong-si, shows Byeongsanseowon tinted with baegilhongs. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap) 

 

▲ This photo, provided by Gangjin-gun Jeollanam-do, shows the temple Baeglyeonsa. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

 

 

▲  This photo, provided by Uljin-gun, shows the road with baegilhong flowers on the sides. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

 

 

▲ This photo, from Cheonan City website, shows the temple Gwangdeogsa. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

 

 

SEOUL, July 25 (Yonhap) -- While spring has cherry blossoms, summer has baegilhong (百日紅·crape myrtle). Baegilhong means ‘100-days-red’ in Korean. It was named after its long-lasting crimson petals blossoming on trees called baerong trees. They bloom from July to September during which the flowers come out and in repeatedly keeping the red color.


Baegilhong which originated from China is also known as Jamihwa (紫薇花). Baerong trees easily shake their leaves even with the slightest touch which earned the species its nickname, tickle tree.


There are many scenery spots with baegilhongs in Korea. Most of them are also famous historical sites.
How about setting out for sights with baegilhongs around the country this summer?

▲ Myeongokheon Wonrim (Damyang-gun Jeollanam-do)

Myeongokheon Wonrim in Goseo-myeon, Damyang is a famous baegilhong rich garden. There are also zelkovas and pine trees, but especially a lot of baerong trees around the pavilions and the ponds.


This garden was built by Oh Yi-jung (1619~1655) who placed a pavilion on where his father Oh Hee-do, a civil minister in the mid Joseon, used to enjoy staying in the middle of the green and blue landscapes.


Oh Yi-jung dug square ponds on a nicely surrounded valley, in the front and back of the pavilion and planted trees around it. The stream from the mountains fills up the upper pond and moves onto the one below making a clear sound like jades clattering which gave the garden its name, Myeongokheon (myeongok means 'singing jades' in Korean).


Near the two ponds in Wonrim are around 20 baerong trees over 100 years old.


The Wonrim is rated as a site well featuring the Korean beauty with its harmony between the artificial and nature not much disturbing the landform.


“Traditional Korean Gardens”, a book about 26 selected representative gardens of the Joseon Dynasty, published in 2012 by Gwangneung Arboretum, also introduced Myeonokheon saying, “it reflects the humble taste of the ancestors not going against the surrounding environment.”

▲ Seochulji (Gyeongju-si, Gyeonsangbuk-do)


At the foot of Mt. Dongnam of Gyeongju, former capital of the Silla Dynasty, Seochulji, which is registered as Historical Site No. 138, makes a scene for the visitors with its lotuses on the pond surrounded by baegilhongs.

 
Seochulji is the stage of Samguk yusa (Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms)’s myth in which the 21st Silla Dynasty King Soji managed to save his life thanks to an old man’s letter that came out of the pond. King Soji looking for Mt. Dongnam ran into an old man in the middle of the pond. 

 

The man handed an envelope with a letter written “Shoot for the Geomungo box”. The king who thought this was not an ordinary incident came back to palace and did as written. To his surprise, in the instrument’s box was an assassin waiting to kill the king. 

 

Lights for night tours are set up on the trees and pavilion Iyodang around the pond for visitors to enjoy the beautiful sites the baegilhong and lotuses make even in the night when not limited by the social distancing due to COVID-19.


▲ Byeongsanseowon (Andong-si, Gyeonsangbuk-do)


“Byeonsanseowon”, a Confucian academy (‘seowan’ is a Korean term for an academy or an educational institute) was originally “Pungak Seodang” placed in Pungsan, Andong in the mid Goryeo but moved its location according to Ryu Seong-ryong’s order during the Joseon era (1575).


The academy is blocked by the Byeonsan cliff where the Nakdong River’s stream flows. Visitors when standing in front of Byeonsanseowon can see the bright red blossoms lined up towards the academy.


Mandaeru, behind the Bokrye Gate that take up three blocks with an octagonal roof on top, has recently been registered as a treasure.


The head of Andong Hahoe Folk Village introduced the landmark with a remark, “the site will present a view for all seasons, spring with um flowers bloomed yard and green colored mountain, summer with red blossomed baerong trees, autumn with scattering maple leaves and winter with white snow covered ground” and “especially the harmony of the river between the 7 blocks of the Mandaeru and its roof line, the winding outlines of byeongsan is beautiful.”

▲ Gwangdeogsa (Cheonan-si, Chungcheongnam-do)


There are about 20 baerong trees growing around the entrance and the inside of Gwangdeogsa, a temple (‘sa’ means a temple in Korean). What’s more, some of them look like they are over 100 years old.


Gwangdeogsa settled at the South foot of Gwangdeog mountain as a branch temple of the upper temple Magoksa, the 6th diocese of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism. It is known to have been constructed at King Heungdeok’s era of Silla (832) by Great Monk Jinsan.

▲ Pyochungsa (Miryang-si, Gyeongsangnam-do)


Pyochungsa is a branch temple of Tongdosa, the16th diocese of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism. This temple has pyochung shrine commemorating Samyeong Daesa (name for a great Buddhist priest)’s contribution during the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592 leading an army of monks.

 

There used to be Juglimsa, a temple built by the great monk Wonhyo but later was transformed into Yeongjeongsa by monk Hwangmyeo during the era of king Heungdeok of Silla. This temple, because its shrine for Samyeong Daesa was regarded the same as a seowan, was orignially named “Pyochunseowan”, however later was recategorized into a temple in that it was seated in a temple.  

 ▲ Deokcheonseowon (Sancheong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do)


This Confucian Academy was built by master Jo Sik’s pupils as a memorial for the master in the Joseon Dynasty (1576). In the yard stands a baerong tree over hundreds of years old.

▲ Baeglyeonsa (Gangjin-gun Jeollanam-do)


Baeglyeonsa at the skirt of Mantoku mountain, Doam-myeo Gangjin-gun Jeollanam-do, is not only famous for its camelias in the early spring but also for making a scenery with its summer baegilhongs.


When the visitors look down at the temple’s yard in the mountains sitting on Mangyeonglu, a castle-like pavilion with multi stories, they can overlook at the blue waters of the Gangjin bay over the crimson embroiders of baegilhong blossoms.

▲ Banyasa (Yeongdong-gun, Chungcheongbuk-do)


Designated as a Regional Cultural Heritage of Yeongdong-gun No.9, Banysa is told to have been found by monk Sangwon the brightest of Wonhyo the Great Monk’s 10th pupils and remodeled by the Great Monk Hakjo during the Goryeo Dynasty (1325). The Geungnakjeon’s (a Budddhist shrine) repairment lacks its accurate date but quite recently the shrine has been newly pigmented and mended giving the place its neat and tidy condition. This simple wooden gambrel-roofed giwa building (a roof tiled building) is 3 blocks in the front, 2 blocks in the side and does not have a po. It has been categorized as Traditional Temple No. 25 since the 28th of May 1988.

※ Po : Short for Gongpo and also known as bracts, a structure the supports the roof and placed between the head of the roof and the pillars.

▲ Beobhwasa (Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do)


Beobhawasa near the Jungmun Tourist Complex in Jeju Seogwipo is told to have been built by Jang Bogo, the Great General Song who conquered the Southern Sea between China and Japan during Silla.


At the outbreak of the Jeju uprising on April 3rd, the temple evacuated the facility and took refugees in Howan village with Buddha. The temple was burnt to the ground in 1948, October by the army who came to suppress the uprising and was reconstructed into today’s form in 1987.


Visitors can enjoy the lotuses floating on Gupum Yonji, a pond inside the temple and the baegilhongs around it.


▲ On the way to Baekam Hot Springs (Uljin-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do)


Since 1988, Uljin-gun has been taking care of baegilhongs that the city planted on their roadsides. In particular, the 16km-long pavement decorated with blooming red baegilhongs from Pyeonghae-eup to Onjeong-myeon Baekam Hot Springs registered its name on Korea Records as the country’s longest baegilhong road in 2009.


Other sites including Uljin-eup~Deokgu Hot Springs, Buk-myeon Dohwa Garden (a park filled with baerong trees), Wonnam-myeon Giyang-ri~Galmyeon-ri roadsides, Buryeongsa temple pond near Buryeong Valley are also hot spots for tourists with their crimson blooms.

 


(END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved