(2nd LD) Virus-hit Cheonghae unit arrives home on aerial tanker

최수향 / 2021-07-20 17:33:02
  • facebookfacebook
  • twittertwitter
  • kakaokakao
  • pinterestpinterest
  • navernaver
  • bandband
  • -
  • +
  • print
(2nd LD) Cheonghae unit-coronavirus
▲ This photo, provided by the defense ministry, shows an aerial tanker at Gimhae airport in the southeastern city of Busan on July 18, 2021, ahead of its dispatch to Africa to bring back home the anti-piracy Cheonghae unit, where hundreds of sailors tested positive for the new coronavirus. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

▲ In this photo, provided by the defense ministry, service members board the naval destroyer, Munmu the Great, in Africa on July 19, 2021, after they arrived to carry out the mission of bringing home crew members affiliated with the anti-piracy Cheonghae unit, where hundreds of sailors tested positive for the new coronavirus. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

▲ This file photo shows the destroyer Munmu the Great. Almost 250 service members of the 34th contingent of the 301-strong Cheonghae unit aboard the warship on anti-piracy and other missions off the coast of Africa tested positive for the coronavirus, causing the military to send two aircraft there to transport them back home. (Yonhap)

▲ Defense Minister Suh Wook (C) offers an apology at the defense ministry in Seoul on July 20, 2021, for mass infections of servicemen dispatched to Africa for anti-piracy missions aboard a naval ship, in this photo provided by the defense ministry. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

(2nd LD) Cheonghae unit-coronavirus

(2nd LD) Virus-hit Cheonghae unit arrives home on aerial tanker

(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead; UPDATES throughout with arrival of Cheonghae unit; ADDS more photos)

By Choi Soo-hyang

SEOUL, July 20 (Yonhap) -- Members of South Korea's virus-hit Cheonghae naval unit returned home from Africa on Tuesday, the defense ministry said, after cutting short their anti-piracy mission following an unprecedented mass outbreak that infected 247, or 82 percent, of the 301-member unit.

One of two KC-330 Cygnus multirole aircraft dispatched to airlift all of the troops returned to an air base south of Seoul at 5:30 p.m., carrying about half of them. The second plane carrying the rest was also expected to arrive soon, according to the ministry.

Upon arrival, the troops will undergo another round of virus tests and be put in quarantine at military hospitals, officials said.

Six cases were first identified Thursday and subsequent tests on all of the members confirmed the mass outbreak on their 4,400-ton Munmu the Great destroyer. Poor initial responses were blamed, such as giving only cold medicine to a sailor who first developed symptoms early this month.

The number of infections could further rise considering the virus' incubation period. The military earlier said 50 have tested negative and the samples of four individuals were undecipherable.

None of the troops had been vaccinated as they left South Korea in early February, just before the country began its inoculation campaign.

Defense Minister Suh Wook issued an apology over the mass outbreak earlier in the day, admitting insufficiency in efforts to vaccinate the sailors.

"As the defense minister, I feel a heavy responsibility, and I extend deep apologies to the members of the Cheonghae unit, their families and the public," he said.

Their destroyer will be piloted back home by a team of about 150 sailors who flew there on the aerial tankers.

The return of the 34th contingent is about a month ahead of the original schedule, marking the first early return of a contingent since the unit was first deployed in 2009.

The troops are rotated every six months for an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden off the coast of Somalia and around the Strait of Hormuz.

A replacement contingent has arrived at the mission area and begun operations, according to officials. Most of the members of the new batch received COVID-19 vaccines before their departure.

The mass outbreak marked the worst-ever cluster infection among service members since the military reported its first coronavirus case in February last year.

The infections appear to have begun after the vessel was docked at an African port from June 28-July 1 to load supplies.

One sailor showed symptoms of a cold a day after the destroyer left the port. But he was found to have been given only cold medicine without undergoing a virus test.

Amid mounting criticism over the military's failure to provide vaccines to the unit members, the defense ministry said the unit was not subject to COVID-19 vaccines provided to United Nations personnel on peacekeeping missions as it is under a separate multinational task force.

The ministry also said the country where the Cheonghae unit often makes port of call does not allow vaccination on foreign military personnel.

Still, President Moon Jae-in said Tuesday it is hard for the government to avoid criticism that its relevant measures were "insufficient," urging officials to thoroughly handle the issue.


(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

Comment >

Most Viewed